The Machaca Outreach Center is literally in the middle of the jungle. They have cleared a huge area of 12.5 acres. If you walk off the cleared area it is just miles of jungle! While we were there they saw jaguar tracks each morning, I was definitely out of my comfort zone. It was about 95 degrees with 95% humidity we were told that this is their nice cool rainy season. I am scared to think what the "HOT" season feels like.
Our cabin
My bed
The cracks were everywhere in the cabin because of all the termite damage. The cabin is screened in all around except for around the bottom! So that means lots of birds, lizards, spiders, scorpions, you name it, it can crawl in.
Right above that black tarp there is a bird that came & visited us daily. We actually had a nest in the corner of our bedroom.
Right above that black tarp there is a bird that came & visited us daily. We actually had a nest in the corner of our bedroom.
None of the walls are complete, for better air flow
Our shower & toilet, you can't see them but there are black flood fly wings all over, I thought there were a lot, but I found out what a lot was in the days to come as I cleaned out cabins for the camp. Flood flies are termites, these lovely insects swarm out of the ground after the 1st rain. Thankfully they swarmed a week before we went. Once they land their wings fall off & they climb into the wood. Which leaves literally thousands of wings everywhere!
The view from my room

No comments:
Post a Comment