I was going through my documents on my computer when I came across this devotion I wrote last year for my M.O.M.S. group. I thought I would share it. It was great reminder to me!
THE GIFT OF SERVICE By Julia lohr
My sister is a server at the Oak Steakhouse in Pechanga. I asked her what her job duties are. She replied, “To make sure that I have done everything in my power to make the customers dining experience the best it can possibly be. I want them to walk out of the restaurant thinking wow that server really took care of all of my needs. Even if they are unkind & rude my job is to still smile & say I am sorry & what can I do make you happier.”
In the same way our call as wives & mothers is to make sure our home is in order that the children are taken care of & we are to humble ourselves even when our husbands are unkind or rude. We are still called to serve our God & our husbands even when they are not doing what we think they are supposed to be doing. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:9-10
I wish I could say I did that all of the time with my husband & my children. My call as a mother is to serve the Lord, then my husband & then my children. Although I’m sure for most of us the children tend to get most of our service & attention, our husbands suffer because of it. It can be exhausting to try to keep up with every ones needs but we are promised that God sees what we do & He will reward us for it. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:10
We can teach our children to serve others by taking them with us when we go to take someone a meal, or when someone is sick & you can pick something up at the store for them. Or when you clean out their room & take the clothes & toys to salvation army or another non-profit organization. Explain what your doing & why your doing it. Also explain that God loves all His people that includes the unsaved. He wants to love & serve everyone even the unlovely. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus…. Phil. 3:5
We have a high calling as servants to our family & to other people. It may not always seem that way but every meal, every dirty diaper, every dish, & every day is a gift from God & He sees it all, knows it all & loves us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment